On the fence about having a first look? There’s no right or wrong answer!
On the fence about having a first look? A lot of couples have seen first look pictures floating around on the internet and in wedding magazines, but aren’t sure if they want to do one themselves. The most common reservation we hear is that couples don’t want to “ruin” the big reveal of walking down the aisle. If you’re struggling to decide if a first look is for you, we’ve outlined our list of pros and cons below:
- Capturing emotional pictures. First looks usually result in amazing, emotion-filled pictures. They allow your photographer to get in close and capture both of your faces when you see each other for the first time on your wedding day.
- Getting pictures before your ceremony. Doing a first look allows you to get couple and group pictures out of the way before the ceremony. This will give you more time for family pictures and time to enjoy your cocktail hour after the ceremony.
- Help ease wedding day jitters. Getting to see each other and share a quick kiss helps ease the nerves of walking down the aisle.
- Gives you two a special moment alone. You get to feel those butterflies of seeing each other twice, once at the first look and again at the aisle.
- You get to pick any location you would like. You get to pick any spot you would like as long as it works within your schedule!
- Less of a reveal when walking down the aisle. While a first look doesn’t “ruin” this moment, it is, of course, still less of a reveal to your partner since they have already seen you in your wedding day attire.
- Adds a bit of time to your timeline. You have to get ready earlier in order to fit the first look and pictures in before the ceremony.
- You may have to get your make-up touched up. This is especially true if you tear up during your first look. Be sure to get a touch-up kit from your makeup artist!
- Lighting can be harsher. Because the first look is done earlier in the day the lighting can be harsher.
Like most wedding decisions it has its pros and cons to everything, We find first looks to be incredibly romantic and a great way to steal some time together before all your guests are buying for your attention but whatever you decide to do you really can’t go wrong!