We are predicting more fun in 2023.
We are sharing our predictions for D.C.’s 2023 wedding trends and there seems to be a theme – all things bold, unexpected, and FUN! With the pandemic finally feeling (relatively) behind us, couples are prioritizing the party.
- Bold color & prints – The emphasis on minimalism and neutral color palettes that has dominated the wedding scene in the DMV for the last 5-6 years is phasing out in favor of maximalism and color. With Viva Magenta named the Pantone 2023 color of the year, couples and designers are taking note, and opting for bolder, more saturated tones. We’re also seeing daring prints and print mix-matching. More is more!
- Themed events – We are seeing a rise in themed events like “Met Gala” and “Festive Garden Party”. After years of small, subdued events, we all just want to have a little fun!
- Mixed Entertainment – The question we’ve asked over the years has been “Are you leaning towards a band or a DJ for your wedding?”. This year, couples are saying “Both!”. More couples are choosing to combine live and DJ’d music in creative ways during their wedding receptions.
- Weekend-long celebrations – The days of a formal rehearsal dinner seem to be behind us. Instead, more formal events are being replaced by bigger, fun-forward welcome parties and after-parties. With this shift, we are seeing more pre- and post-wedding day events hosted at breweries, game-themed bars, and other non-traditional venues.
- Film, flash & candid photography – When it comes to photography, couples are focused less on an abundance of posed portraits and more on candid photos, photos with movement, and vibe-y party pics. It’s also the year of film and flash photography with a super cool retro feel.
- Untraditional or no wedding party – We are seeing more mix-gendered wedding parties. It’s now quite common to have a Man of Honors or Best Women. We’re also leaving even-numbered wedding parties in 2022. Truly, it’s nothing to lose sleep. It will not be obvious in photos, we promise! Many couples are forgoing traditional wedding parties completely and instead opt for smaller groups to get ready with but who have no formal role in the wedding.
- Elaborate ballgowns & unexpected veils – We’re seeing the return of the ballgown, but with elaborate touches like floral motifs and color. Veils are also going through a reinvention. Think embroidery and ultra-long or mini lengths.
Weddings are back in a big way in 2023. Larger weddings are on the rise again with weekend-long agendas. Couples are emphasizing a fun, engaging guest experience at their weddings. And, we’re thrilled to be playing with bold colors and patterns in our wedding designs this year. More is more in 2023!
If you want to read more about wedding trends check out Vogue’s 2023 Trends that are in-and-out list.
Planning a 2023 or 2024 wedding? Reach out to us here to chat with us and get a custom proposal!